Necessity for this Book
Jude 1:1-3 JUDE, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
Jude being a half-brother of Jesus Christ calls himself a bondservant of Jesus Christ.
Matt 13:55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?
Jude found it absolutely necessary to write to the true church who are sanctified by God the Father and preserved in Jesus Christ, so that they can be encouraged to struggle earnestly for the faith. It is going to be a struggle for our faith not from outside the church but from within.
Ungodly Men within Churches
Jude 1:4-5 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ. But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.
Today’s churches are filled with ungodly people, thinking they serve God by coming to church yet does not follow Him by being holy and righteous. These are the people who turn grace of God into lewdness and even deny Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Below are some of the few example of ungodly men who crept unnoticed into our churches. Today, they destroyed the church from within.
- In 2003 the Episcopal Church, which is the American body (province) of the Anglican Communion, approved Gene Robinson to the bishopric of the diocese of New Hampshire. Bishop Gene Robinson is the first openly bisexual clergy to be ordained to the episcopate (ref)
- On 21 August 2009, The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the largest Lutheran church body in the United States, voted 559 to 451 in favor of allowing gays to become ordained ministers (ref)
- Pastor caught stealing from collection basket on hidden camera: police (ref)
- Married pastor, 33, believed to be on the run after he ‘sexually assaulted teenage girl and got her pregnant’ (ref)
Today, we had passed the stage of Jude’s warning where ungodly members get into churches, but rather ungodly men running several churches. Pastors who are gays, thieves and of the flesh running churches. Shepherds who are supposed to feed the sheep are feeding on the sheep.
Examples of God
Jude 1:6-7 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
God gives two examples:
- Angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode taking daughters of men as wives are reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day.
- Sodom and Gomorrah who had given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh committing homosexual acts were destroyed with fire.
Today, churches that are supposed to protect the flock of God from the spirit of Sodom and Gomorrah and all uncleanness had themselves become like Sodom and Gomorrah.
Brute Beast Dreamers
Jude 1:8-10 Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.
Bible calls these ungodly men as dreamers and they do the following:
- Defile the flesh
- Reject Authority
- Speak evil of dignitaries
Even Michael when contending with the devil about the body of Moses dared not bring a reviling accusation, instead he said “the Lord rebuke you”, but these dreamers will speak evil even if they don’t know about them and if they know something they are like brute beasts and they corrupt themselves.
Woe to them!
Jude 1:11-13 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots; raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
Woe to these dreamers. Jude gives three examples to identify them further.
What is the ‘Way of Cain’?
Gen 4:7 “If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”
Christians who don’t rule over sin are in the way of Cain.
Error of Balaam
2Pet 2:15 They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
Rebellion of Korah
Num 16:40 to be a memorial to the children of Israel that no outsider, who is not a descendant of Aaron, should come near to offer incense before the LORD, that he might not become like Korah and his companions, just as the LORD had said to him through Moses.
These are the people are who are:
- spots in our love feasts – they feast with us without fear they only serve themselves.
- clouds without water – carried by winds of false doctrines
- late autumn trees without fruits – those who are twice dead pulled up by roots and without leaves and no spiritual fruits.
- raging waves of the sea – who not only commit shameful acts but publicly encourage those shameful acts foaming on shame.
- wandering stars – who wander between the old man and the new creation.
Prophecy of Enoch
Jude 1:14-15 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”
This is a verse that is prophesied by Enoch even before the great flood about the coming judgment which is also mentioned in the book of Enoch.
Matt 25:31-34 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: … (41) Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Keep yourselves in the love of God
Jude 1:16-19 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage. But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.
Further qualifications are given for ungodly dreamers.
- walking according to their own lusts
- they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage
We see these mockers in today’s churches. walking in their own lusts, which is a sign for us to know we are indeed in the last days. These cause divisions and do not have the Spirit.
Rom 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
Instructions to true Christians
Jude 1:20-23 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
- Let us build ourselves up on our most holy faith
- Let us pray in the Holy Spirit
- Let us keep ourselves in the love of God
- Let us look for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life
Verses 22 and 23 are better translated in NIV or ESV
Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear– hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
- Let us be merciful to those who doubt. Just as God was merciful to Thomas by allowing him to test His wounds, let us also be merciful to those who are genuine doubters.
- Let us snatch those who had fallen into sin, from the fire and save them by instructing them and correcting them or even rebuking them if necessary.
- If the sins of some people which can easily get us into a trap, then let us have mercy mixed with fear and even hate our garment to be defiled which is the which is the righteousness and holiness. In simple words, Jude instructs us not to go into places of temptation to save others where you not only risk losing your holiness and righteousness but you will easily fall into their sin.
Jude finally finishes his book with a prayer of assurance.
Jude 1:24-25 To Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.
God is able to keep us from stumbling and present us faultiness. Therefore, let us hold on to Him and obey Him so that we don’t stumble and be faultless before Him.