The debate between Calvinism and Arminianism had been going on for the past 4 centuries within Protestantism. What did Christ say?
Conditional Election and Freewill
Matt 22:1-3 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, “and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come.
Christ explained there was a conditional election that is only for those who are invited. But, the invited rejected the invitation, showing that they did it in their own freewill.
- Conditional Election – Heavenly Father did not invite all.
- Free-Will or Human Ability – The invited were not willing to come.
Resistance to Holy Spirit
Matt 22:4-6 “Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding. But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business.And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them.
The invited not only rejected the invitation but even killed His servants.
- Resistance to the call – All the invited resisted the call. They even turned against.
Falling from Grace
Matt 22:7 “But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
The same people who were invited had now fallen from grace and the King sent out His army to destroy them.
- Falling from Grace – Those who were invited had fallen from grace.
Matt 22:8-10 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’ So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
The King now commands His servants to invite all, as many as they can find.
- Unconditional Election – Heavenly Father invited all the rest both good and bad.
Free-Will, Falling From Grace and Universal Redemption
Matt 22:11-13 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Similar to the previously invited people, responding to the second invitation to all depends on the freewill of each individual. As we also see, wedding garments are not supplied with invitation nor it is supplied at the palace. It is the responsibility of each person responding to the invitation to prepare for the wedding of the Son by coming with his wedding garment.
- Free-Will or Human Ability – Again, it is the choice of those who were invited the second time (who were not originally invited before) to come to the wedding this time.
- Free-Will or Human Ability – Wedding garment is not supplied in the palace by the Heavenly father for those who came unprepared. You need to make sure you need to prepare and have the wedding garment before you visit the King.
- Falling From Grace – Those who were without wedding garment among the invited the second time had fallen from grace.
- Universal Redemption or General Atonement – All those who were invited could have attended the wedding of the Son but only those who come with the wedding garment were allowed to attend.
Many are called, Few are chosen
Matt 22:14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”
- We are invited by what we don’t do. This is grace.
- We respond to His invitation believing in Him. This is faith
- But, we are chosen by our wedding garments. This is works.